The lentil taco filling I use in these wraps was a huge success the first time I made it. And every time since. My goal was to create a plant-based protein component for our wraps and salads. I was looking for something healthy, easy to make, wholesome and made from everyday ingredients. At the same time, I knew I wanted it to taste as good as any meat filling would. I realized that what gives meat its flavor are usually marinades, spices, salt, and fat. So, I used my two favorite things, a sweet paprika powder, and soy sauce and created a vegetarian protein ‘meat’ that any meat eater would enjoy.
Some people don’t like legumes. Often the reason is that the taste just isn’t right. Lentils or beans have a mild flavor which makes them a great, versatile ingredient. I love that I can use them as a side dish, salad topping or as a main component of a meal. They can be added to soups, stews, and even desserts. It’s all about pairing them with other (more flavorful) ingredients.
In this recipe, I prepare the French green lentils the same way I would cook ground beef or chicken for wraps. I sautéd (cooked) lentils in a pan with carrots and seasoned it with sweet paprika and soy sauce. That’s it. It takes just a few minutes, once the lentils are cooked. Since that first attempt, we made these lentils countless of times. They are my quick go-to protein source I like to add not only to wraps but salads as well.
Lentil Taco Wraps
Servings: 4 wraps
- 1 cup of uncooked French green lentils
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced or sliced
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- Add the lentils to a pot and cover with 3-4 cups of water. Add a ½ a teaspoon of salt, bring to boil, and then turn the heat to medium. Let the lentils simmer for about 30 minutes, or until done. Once cooked, drain any excess water.
- Shred the carrots.
- Heat a large non-stick pan (no oil needed). Add the shredded carrots and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the drained lentils and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season the mixture with the sweet paprika powder and add three tablespoons of soy sauce. Sauté the mixture until all the liquid evaporates, stirring frequently. Let the mixture cool for a few minutes before using in wraps.
- Prepare the veggies: Wash and dry the lettuce leaves, dice the tomato, slice the bell pepper.
- For sauce: Mix the yogurt, minced garlic, and salt.
- Place each wrap on a plate, top with lettuce, lentils, tomatoes, and bell pepper. Finally, drizzle with the yogurt sauce.