I cooked with coconut milk for the first time about five years ago and I think it was some version of a coconut curry. Since then I tried a few curry recipes and at the end I settle on this vegan version. To this day this coconut curry is our most frequent use of the can of coconut milk.
I make my life easier with using store bought red curry paste but I usually cook chickpeas from scratch. I also found a shop where they sell a good quality canned coconut milk. And by good quality I mean a coconut milk which contains only coconut, water and citric acid. Some other brands of coconut milks (which are more widely available in stores) contain different kinds of thickeners, emulsifies and stabilizers.
Even though we are not vegans we love this vegan curry. But if you are a serious meat lover I’m sure this recipe would work nicely with some chicken meat as well.
Recently I had a coconut soup for lunch at work and it was delicious. I’ll try to recreate it at home and if it will be any close to the original I’ll share it here. It was really good. But if you crave a coconut something right know, try this Vegan Red Coconut Curry.
Vegan Red Coconut Curry
Servings: 2-3 portions
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced (slices about 4 cm long)
- ½ eggplant, thinly sliced (slices about 4 cm long)
- ½ zucchini, thinly sliced (slices about 4 cm long)
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 heaping cup cooked chickpeas (or 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained)
- 4 heaping teaspoons red curry paste (about 45 grams)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 can coconut milk
- Heat the coconut oil in a pot. Once heated add diced onions and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion gets translucent.
- Add the carrots and sauté for few more minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini and bell pepper and sauté for couple more minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, season with salt and stir to combine.
- Dissolve the curry paste in a cup of hot water and add to the pot. Bring to a shimmer, lower the heat and let gently simmer for about 10 minutes.
- At last add the coconut milk, stir to combine and taste. Salt if needed. Mix well and turn of the heat. Let the curry sit for about 10 minutes to fully combine all flavors.
- Serve with brown rice, piece of bread or as is.
Since my first encounter with the coconut milk I used it in other recipes as well. But this Vegan Red Coconut Curry remains our favorite way how to use a can of coconut milk.
Are you fan of coconut milk? How do you use it? Share in the comments section!