Today is the first day of my favorite month, and I decided to celebrate it by sharing one of my favorite recipes with you. I think I discovered quinoa shortly after we moved to Brussels. I started to read healthy lifestyle blogs where everybody talks about quinoa. Quinoa is a source of complete protein, is very high in fiber, magnesium, potassium, calcium, B-vitamins and is a good source of antioxidants (source).
This recipe combines three things I love: quinoa, salmon, and zucchini. I like the crunchiness of quinoa and, thanks to lemon juice, a little sour taste of vegetables and salmon. Red or black quinoa is better in this recipe than white quinoa, which tends to overcook easily.
The salad is ready in about 30 minutes, and it is best served warm. It also reheats well, and I often prepare it in the evening as the next day’s lunch.
Quinoa Salmon Salad
- 1 cup red or black quinoa
- 200g of salmon fillet cut into cubes
- 1 bell pepper cut into cubes, yields about 2 cups (I like to use ½ of yellow and ½ of red bell pepper)
- ½ zucchini cut to cubes, yield about 2 cups
- ½ cube of vegetable bouillon (or 1 teaspoon of powder vegetable bouillon)
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Put the quinoa into a pot with two cups of boiling water and bouillon. Bring to boil and let simmer for 20 – 30 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
- On a large nonstick pan heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Once heated add vegetables and cook for about 8 minutes, stir occasionally. When the vegetables are almost cooked add salt and a half of the lemon juice. Stir few more times to cover all vegetables with lemon juice and salt.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the pan again and once heated add the salmon. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes stir occasionally. At the end add salt and the rest of the lemon juice and stir few more times. Set the cooked salmon aside.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, and all the water is absorbed mix in the cooked vegetables and the salmon.
- Let sit for a few minutes to let all flavors to combine.
- Serve warm.