For the past few weeks we have been preparing smoothie jars almost every day. We would have them as an afternoon snack at work around 3 pm when sugar cravings usually hit.
These jars are very easy to make and there are countless possibilities and combinations for the layers it in a jar. We have a few combinations we really like and prepare most often, for example chocolate smoothie + yogurt + fresh strawberries or granola + yogurt + strawberry & mint smoothie or this cookie dough smoothie + blueberries (recipe below).
You can use whatever ingredients you have on hand. Fresh or frozen fruits and berries, yogurt, granola, oats, nuts and seeds or quinoa puffs are what we use most often.
What I like most about these smoothie jars is that they feel like a treat because they are sweet but are much healthier than any cookies or chocolate bars. They satisfy my afternoon sugar cravings and are packed with fiber, good fats and vitamins.
Cookie dough smoothie jars
Servings: 2 jars (about 330 ml each)
Ingredients for smoothie:
- 200 ml almond milk
- 2 bananas
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 heaping tablespoon almond or cashew butter
- ¼ cup oats (optional)
- ½ – 2/3 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- oats or granola (optional)
- Place the milk, bananas, cinnamon and nut butter to a blender and blend for couple of minutes. If you want your smoothie thicker you can add 1/4 cup of oats.
- Put blueberries on the bottom of a jar so they reach to about ¼ or 1/3 of the jar. Next add oats or granola if you are using them. And pour in the smoothie.
- Store in a fridge and serve cool.