I like when one thing seamlessly leads to another. When a leftover food is transformed into a different kind of meal. I love to use versatile ingredients and have my pantry, fridge, and freezer stocked with them. This way the cooking, baking, or any kitchen creation is just a question of combining what sounds good in a moment. It also means we always have foods we love on hand, that almost zero food is wasted in our home, and that grocery shopping is an easy errand.
These days, it’s quite difficult to find a good spot for food photography in our apartment. It’s just a few days after the time shift, and we are still adjusting. Every year I’m surprised how much the change of just one hour affects us.
Lack of sun and daylight is a real struggle for me. I noticed it, especially, while editing these pictures. Winter means that I can only photograph my creations on weekends when I’m at home during the peak sunlight hours. But still, the winter light feels rather cold with its blue-ish hues.
No matter how the pictures look like, these chocolate mascarpone & raspberry parfait jars are a delight. They are an unplanned kind of treat, made out of leftover cake frosting and staples from our freezer and pantry. This is the kind of treat I love, made in a few minutes from ingredients already in my kitchen. No shopping, no hassle, plus some chocolate.
This parfait was a nice surprise, and it’s a nice addition to our recipe book. Especially on day’s when there’s no time for baking, or in time when there’s a shortage of fresh fruits available. I can see us making it, or similar variations with different frozen berries, throughout the winter. Also, the presentation isn’t so bad, if I may say so myself 😉
Chocolate Mascarpone & Raspberry Parfait
- 125 grams mascarpone
- 100 grams cream cheese
- 25 – 30 grams powdered sugar
- 50 grams dark chocolate (or dark chocolate chips)
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons nuts (e.g., almond slices, chopped walnuts or pecans)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds
- In a small pot heat the raspberries and let simmer for a few minutes. When all raspberries are thawed, and the mixture has a jam-like consistency, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Melt the chocolate in a water bath, then set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Toast the sesame seeds, coconut, nuts, and flaxseed on a medium heat in a small pan. When the coconut starts to turn golden, transfer the mix into a bowl.
- In a larger bowl mix together the mascarpone, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. Next, add melted chocolate and mix.
- Divide the chocolate mascarpone cream into four jars, top with cooked raspberries, and sprinkle toasted seeds & nuts on top.
- Cool the jars in the fridge for at least an hour.