I’m so happy that it’s almost summer. I spend most of the year waiting for this season, mostly to enjoy all the fruits and veggies that are in season right now. I especially awaited cherries. I didn’t know I love them so much until about two years ago when my cherry obsession started. At that time, I was eating cherries almost daily while they were in season and didn’t cost a fortune.
With more sun and warmer temperatures, we also tend to cook and bake less, and we opt for healthier, fresh and raw meals. However, this doesn’t mean we don’t have desserts. We do, but also here we go for healthier options, such as smoothies, fruit salads or smoothie bowls.
A few months ago, I had a delicious Black Forest Cake, and I thought I might try to make it myself (it never happened). To make use of some cherries, I made this black forest parfait instead. It is as delicious and as satisfying as the cake, but much less elaborate. ?
I swapped the chocolate cake layers for a thick smoothie/mouse, used a thick mascarpone cream, added some cherries to the middle and garnished it all with toasted seeds, almonds, and coconut. Delish!
Even though the list of ingredients isn’t short and the parfait has multiple layers, it’s quick and easy to make. Used glass jars, to show all the beautiful layers of the parfait. You can also store it in a fridge in closed jars, and take it to work or picnic as an after lunch treat. Enjoy!
Black Forest Parfait
- ½ cup almond milk
- a handful of baby spinach leaves
- ½ avocado
- 1 banana
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- Cream Filling:
- 125 ml mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup cherries (pitted and halved)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons almond slices
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- On a non-stick pan toast the sesame seeds, almonds, coconut and flaxseeds on medium heat for a few minutes. Pay close attention to the almonds and coconut. As soon as they start to turn golden, transfer the toasting mix from the pan to a bowl. Don’t leave the mix to cool on the hot pan because it can burn quickly.
- Put all the ingredients for the smoothie (milk, spinach, avocado, banana, cacao powder) to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Divide half of the smoothie into two jars.
- In a bowl, mix mascarpone, milk and maple syrup with a spoon until smooth.
- Scoop half of the mascarpone cream into the jars.
- Next, add a layer of halved cherries.
- Cover the cherries with remaining half of the mascarpone cream and top with the remaining smoothie.
- Garnish with the toasted seeds, almonds, and coconut. And add a couple of cherries, for a good measure ?